Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Why my dad changed career


My dad completed a Mining Engineering degree and had worked in some big mining companies in the Philippines when I was young.

Several accidents in the mining site almost cost him his life but he was unshakable. He had witnessed several fatal bar down incidents that took the lives of many of his men in some thousands of feet below the ground.

But there was one incident which served as a turning point in his life which lead him to completely abandon his profession.

He saw some very refined sand dripping down the walls of an underground tunnel connecting the blasting and the panning department one night while on his shift. He was the Supervisor of three departments at the time. He went to report this observation to the General Manager and requested a thorough check of all the structures in those specific areas of the underground.

He believed that if ignored, another doom would come. But the General Manager dismissed his proposal on the grounds that my dad’s request would require a big budget. My dad urged his superior to do something otherwise his people would die, but the General Manager convinced him that it´s not going to happen. The next day, my dad resigned.

Quickly the company replaced my dad’s abandoned post. But not long after that, a very tragic accident happened burying the new Supervisor and the workers to death - just as my dad prophesied.

Because of the accident my dad lost interest in mining. He started to see his profession as a waiting grave. He also disliked the irregular night shifts and not being able to take a complete weekend holidays and spend time with his kids. It made him decide to change his career. From being a mining engineer, he became a self-employed business man.

photo credit: weheartit.com

15 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is scary. So many bad things keep happening in mining. You'd think with so much technology out there, things would get better. I like your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gives me chills. Kudos to your dad for sticking to his guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the note. This story is still so relative to so many out there who have families dealing with this work. So many get hurt. I'm glad your dad quit at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think we came into this life to keep doing the same things over and over. i believe we are constantly expanding just like the universe we are living in. thanks for commenting on my 6:38 post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great story girl..
    always take the positive from moment in our life.


    THE SECRET LIFE OF "D"

    in Love&Light
    Queen D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow good for him. That is very intense, a waiting grave. Really puts things in perspective! Thanks for stopping by!
    xo
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, so glad your dad got out safe....and good for him for seeing the need to get out.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what to say since everybody has their own say of their big decision in life. But I do think that mining is a dangerous thing. I'm just glad he stays away from it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I don't know what just happened to my comment! So sorry -
    thank you for commenting on mine though - off to check out your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really such a moving tale! I'm glad your dad is doing completely okay.
    But my heart goes out to all those who lost their lives over something that could otherwise have been prevented. Hopefully someone does something about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty cool post. It's really very nice and useful post. Thanks for sharing these great words.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's a great story and I hope people take notice ! Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so beautiful!!!love your writing, good that the change of career is for his kids:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time. I'll get back to you soon. :)